Thursday, April 9, 2009

The End is Near!!!

Thursday, April 9 - St. Lucie West, Florida

The "end" is, indeed, near. We have less than one week left here in Florida. Hard to believe that the "snowbird" season is over! Most of the people have already left the resort. As of April 1, there have been an average of about 4 coaches per day leaving.

On a happier note, I started playing golf last week, as the "golf group" is losing members rapidly. I was asked to join the group last week, and have been playing ever since. My golf scores have improved steadily over the past week, until today, that is! I don't know why, but I completely "lost it" today, finishing with a dismal 44 for nine holes (par is 27). My best game came yesterday, when I shot a 36!

At this point, I have to pass along a funny story, which took place today, during our round of golf. One of our group, Gary, was attempting a putt on the 5th hole, when his putter suddenly, and inexplicably, broke. As he stroked the ball, the head of the putter broke away from the shaft as soon as he hit the ball. "What the f...?", he exclaimed, as he looked, incredulously, at his club. Needless to say, we didn't count that stroke, and he was able to salvage a "par 3" on the hole with a borrowed putter. I should also mention that, as the season is drawing closer to the end, the golf rules get laxer and laxer (is that a word?)! For example, if a player hits his ball into the water hazard, and any part of the ball remains "above water", he gets a "free lift"! I have seen a lot of strange things out there on the course over the past week - balls skipping over water hazards, balls hitting palm trees and bouncing out onto the fairway (or onto the green!), balls staying up in the palm trees, and other phenomena! However, I guess the strangest thing out on the golf course lately, has been MY PUTTER! I picked it up at a flea market for $2! My golf buddies keep referring to it as a "miniature golf" club, because it looks like it came from a miniature golf course! Strange thing is, it works!!

OK! Enough about golf. Good news! The Sox won their home opener on Tuesday, 5 - 3, against Tampa Bay. Beckett had 10 Ks over seven innings! I am going to see the Sox - Yankees on June 11th, compliments of Enzymatics! The tickets were donated to the Waldorf School auction, and Enzymatics bought them! Doesn't get much better than that!

Have to sign off for now! We are going to the Easter Vigil service at 8PM. Sorry that I have no pictures to post tonight. Keep checking back.

No comments: